Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Youth Outing

Howdy! I just thought I'd write about my day yesterday. I went along with the youth to help a native man harvest his corn.. We left around 8:30 in the morning and traveled about an hour to the man's shamba (garden). I really had no idea what we were actually going to be doing but I soon found out! When we got there, a few men were busy chopping the corn by hand  and putting the stalks on piles. Our job was to take the ear of corn off the stalk and husk it. The husks were sharp though, and Charity was cut badly by the husk. She was pulling against another girl and the husk slipped and slashed three fingers on her right hand! The cut on her middle finger was rather deep and all three fingers bled for a good while. Thankfully she did not pass out or anything! Anyway, once we had done enough corn, we went to Mark and Mary Ellen Beachy's house for lunch. The way we got there was rather interesting!:) Me and two other girls rode on top of the van for the 15-20 minute drive. It was lots of fun being able to see out across the country, and the people we drove past really waved and shouted at us.. They probably wondered what in the world these white girls were doing on top of the van!:) Mark Beachy's do not live in the compound; instead, they live out with the people. Once we got there, we ate an American lunch of hamburgers and hotdogs. It was very tasty! After doing the dishes we went and played volleyball for a few hours.  It was fun but it did make me miss not seeing the home folks!  After having cookies, popcorn, and tea in the late afternoon, we headed home. The sunset last night was beautiful! We got to see it on the way home. It was after six when we got back. Well, there is more I could write about our day today and so forth but I think I will let mom do that later. Clarissa

10 comments:

  1. I loved hearing from you too Clarissa! Keep it up!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So AWESOME hearing from ya Rissa!! Miss you:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about those 2 extra comments:( I messed up:( Krista Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about those 2 extra comments:( I messed up:( Krista Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanx so much for writing rissa! ,I love hearing from you too! Sounds like your getting right into it,! Marla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanx so much for writing rissa! ,I love hearing from you too! Sounds like your getting right into it,! Marla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanx so much for writing rissa! ,I love hearing from you too! Sounds like your getting right into it,! Marla

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed hearing about your day! Miss you! Krista

    ReplyDelete