Thursday, August 20, 2015

Culture Shock!!

Hello from Kisumu!  Its another hot, dry, day here and the dust just flies!  It seems impossible to keep things clean so you just kind of give up after awhile.  We compound ladies helped clean the school this morning and believe me!!! You have never seen such a dirty school!  There was a thick layer of dust over everything so it took a good bit of elbow grease.  It was nice getting to know the ladies here a bit better but also really made me homesick for my dear friends at home. We've been feeling culture shock the last few days. I thought Shonda summed it up pretty well last eve. when she said that NOTHING is the same as at home!  It seems like it would help if some things would feel the same but I totally agree with her... we are in a total different world.  And I won't pretend that its all adventure and fun... cause it sure isn't!!!!!!  I think the children, especially Vanessa and Bradlyn are doing well although Brad still likes to stay close to Mom and Dad sometimes.  Clarissa and Shonda do well but I think they miss home too.  I really hope they will enjoy school... that will make such a difference for them. 
  I read something in in a devotional this morning that was a real help to me.  It said, "Accept each day just as it comes to you.  Do not waste your time and energy wishing for a different set of circumstances. Instead, trust Me enough to yield to my design and purposes. Remember that nothing can separate you from my loving Presence; you are Mine."  I'm afraid I don't do too well in accepting some things as they are... for example, its terribly hard to be content with my stove and oven!  I have 2 gas burners that "work" and 1 electric burner that takes real long to heat up.  Sometimes I have to stand for a long time holding the knob in so that the flame will stay there for me.  I have to release it very slowly and hope and pray that it will stay lit.  I tried making bread yesterday because my children hate this bought stuff.. but it was a disaster.  It was beautiful on top but the bottom was far from done.  Its still edible but looks terrible.  I don't plan to give up right away though cause I've got to have something they like to eat around here.  I think there are very few ladies who bake bread here.  We made some pumpkin bread too and thank God that turned out nice.  
  Some of you wondered what kind of washer I have.  Its actually a pretty nice, push button, automatic washer but it takes a long time for the water to come in and I also like to save water by dipping out the rinse water and saving it for the next load.  Wash dries very quickly here since there is little humidity so thats a blessing.  I also hang our dresses up wet to save on ironing.  It all just takes time so I started doing several loads every day.  One adjustment for me is that my laundry and wash line area is far from private.  People go by every day to get water behind our house and of course Rachel lives in the servant quarters behind our house.  I don't mind that though... Rachel is so sweet.  I'm sad that she's leaving in Dec. A native man, George, comes every day to bring water for the compound from a well.  On Mondays our carport is occupied all day with native ladies who come here for sewing classes.  I'm responsible to give them plates and utensils when they want to eat lunch and also keep them supplied with drinking water.  Would be so nice to be able to communicate with them better.  I'm learning some of the greetings etc. but I still have a long way to go.  
  On Tues. Wayne and I went with Jason and Cynthia and their children to visit 3 of our church members at their homes.  Our children stayed here... we knew it would be a long day for them.  It takes time to visit... these people are not in a hurry and we don't want to offend them by hurrying off.  We always stand for a prayer before we are seated in their house.  The houses are made of mud and cow manure mixed together and they keep them nice and clean.  Its a bit dark inside though and if someone is sitting in a corner sometimes I can only see the whites of their eyes and their teeth. :)  My "sitter" has been very sore sometimes since we came.  We're soft Americans I guess who need to get used to uncomfortable positions.  They pack people in vehicles and on couches.  Oh I get SO HOT sometimes and any little breeze is such a blessing.  I must be getting old too because I have a hard time staying awake sometimes when we're sitting for so long in the same position.  Yesterday we went to a native home for prayer meeting and Bible study.  We were packed into a small, hot house but the fellowship was still a blessing.  We had an interpreter.  Afterwards the ladies went outside and were served mandazis and nyoyo ( a mixture of corn and beans)  as well as chai.  The mandazis were quite good!  I was sitting at a small, low table with 5 other ladies who were chattering away in Luo.  Barely caught a word they said.  But I would just smile at them and I guess that is all I can do for now til i learn the language.  We can pretty well sing along with them when they sing.  The words are easy to pronounce... quite a bit like Kekchi was in Belize.  Our language class starts next Tues. You can really pray for us!  People seem to feel sorry for us when they hear our classes are starting.  Sounds like its far from easy and also hard to find time to get housework done. :(  
    Last eve. Tonys took us down to Lake Victoria.  Actually Wayne drove.... Tony thought he should.  I think it kind of freaked Wayne out... but he did well except for hitting a speed bump too hard one time that he hadnt seen til too late.  I bumped my head on the ceiling! :)  He also turned on the windshield wipers instead of turn signals... since everything is on the opposite side than we're used too.  I don't know if I'll ever get used to this driving on the "wrong" side business!!!!  Tommy and Marji joined us at the lake too.  I like Marji so much!  Don't know what I would do without her and Cynthia and Judith!  They have all been so helpful!  
  Wayne and Jason are out visiting native homes again today.  They left early this morning since one of the natives is getting ready to build a new house and wanted the pastor to pray at the dedication.  
  Many thanks to all who have sent notes of encouragement to us!  We appreciate it so much and I wish I'd have time to respond to all of you!  Thanks so much to all who have prayed that we could sleep!  God is so good and Wayne and I are both sleeping well!  Wayne sleeps better than he did at home!  I'm so thankful that I haven't needed pills!  But please continue to pray... language is coming up as well as more stressful times!  We appreciate ya'll and miss you like crazy!!  Clara

No comments:

Post a Comment