Sunday, November 1, 2015

Greetings from Luo Land!  Our lives seem to be "picking up" now since Jason's are actually leaving us in a little over a week.  We're feeling the weight of the responsibility that is on us but with God's help we will make it, one day at a time. On Tues. we had a good day at Jennifer's Gardens where all the pastors and their wives, including native pastors from the Kisumu area, were together for a day of fellowship and good food! Wayne and Bradlyn and I travelled to and from with Mark and Mary Ellen Beachy and really enjoyed our visit with them. Joseph and Becky provided chicken for all of us that day and it was so yummy fresh from the grill.  Cynthia made cooked cabbage over the jiko and that was very tasty too.  We also had plenty of rice and potatoes with banana bread for dessert. These people love banana bread and we would enjoy finding a way for them to be able to make it over a fire.  Any ideas for us?  The problem may be the cost... it takes sugar, flour, eggs, and bananas. Some would not be able to afford all that.  The men and ladies had a separate little share time that day.  Rosemary (the one who was our language teacher) shared a devotional or topic with the ladies and she did a great job.  She spoke of how we can encourage our pastor husbands by being good wives.  I was challenged and saw much need for improvement in my life.  The day was nice except it rained some in the afternoon while some folks were trying to play games. The pastors love playing "mzungu" games like, Bocce Ball, Can-Jam and Corn Hole.  The interaction is wonderful! We left a bit early cause of the rain.  
  Wed. afternoon we had Bible study at the church instead of at someone's house.  We had a 50 shilling clothing sale that day and so I was initiated into some of my new responsibilities.  All the ladies were allowed to choose a medium or large dress for around .50 or else buy some fabric that we took along and choose a color that they want a dress made out of.  It was my job to collect the money and write down what color and size they need and anything extra they wanted to request with their dresses.  It was a bit hectic when they all wanted to pay at once but with Cynthia's help and encouraging them to only do one thing at a time.... we made it!  Our girls were at home all afternoon Wed. since there is no school after lunch, so I had a list of things for them to do for me.  Clarissa made Shonda's birthday cake and decorated it.  As happens frequently, the power went off while the cake was in the oven! :(  Clarissa quickly ran over to Tommys to ask permission to use their oven, then she ran back home, covered the cake, and quickly took it to Tommy's to continue baking!  I think God was looking out for her cause it didn't even flop! And it turned out more luscious and moist than ever! :)  
  I would appreciate if you could help me pray for an Asian lady here in Kisumu (can't remember her name) who we buy cashews and some other things from.  I like going to her house... its a very interesting place... more modern than a mud house by far... fairly big with nice furnishings (in Kenya standards).  I didn't see a stove in the kitchen, but there is a fridge and I've seen her cook over a small jiko on the floor.  She is a VERY busy lady.  She grinds all kinds of things like flour, and all kinds of spices, and seasonings.  I like getting cashews since they are much cheaper than at Nakumatt.  Then I buy ground nuts (peanuts) from the market lady and roast peanuts and cashews in the oven and season them with salt and sour cream and onion powder. Yummy!!  They satisfy my salt cravings so well and they're good for you!  Anyway... I like visiting with this lady cause she is so friendly and knows English quite well. She was telling me how its good to stay busy so we don't have so much time to think.  Her husband died when her youngest child was six.  She's so sweet and I would like to talk to her about God and how He can fill the void in our lives but I'm not sure how to start.  I think she may be Hindu because she has a red spot on her forehead.  It breaks my heart to think that she is serving a false god.  Wayne thinks maybe I should start by giving her Christian literature, such as the Seed of Truth magazine.  We love to give those magazines away!! Its so much fun to open the windows of the vehicle when we're going down the road, throw the magazine out and see how eagerly people reach for them.  Children almost fight over them. Most adults love them too. The other day as were going to Jennifers there were two boys and a little girl beside the road. The little girl appeared to be crying and the boy looked like he was threatening her with a stick!  Wayne threw 3 Seed of Truth magazines out for them and the fight stopped immediately. 
  Thurs. eve. was the first time that Wayne and I and Clarissa went along to the Russia (Government) Hospital to sing. We sang Luo songs, and some Swahili. I was so sad when I left that decrepit place!!  It was a relief that we could stay outside under a covered walkway to sing.  Everything seems so dirty and germy.   The wards are off of the covered walkways and the beds are so close together... its pathetic.  Nothing like privacy!! I saw no IV poles that I can remember... although I'm sure they use IV's sometimes.  Patients lay there curled up and you have to wonder what kind of care they are getting.  Tommys have seen so many people die there from wrong medications or just bad care I guess.  I think I would have to be deathly sick before I would consent to going there!!  I'm so thankful that there is a better hospital in town.  We can't be thankful enough for the good hospitals in America!!  I'm seeing I took far to much for granted when we lived there!!  
  Saturday was a more relaxed day and we did some special things in honor of Shonda's birthday.  We went to the animal market where we bought her a nice basket.  One vendor was begging me for 20 shillings to buy him a soda!!  It feels rude to deny him but if you start something like that there is no stopping and we had already bought a small motto from him.  Sigh.... From there we went to the "chip shack" where we ate french fries and drank sodas. Men sit around a fire peeling potatoes and then throw them into oil to fry.  They are quite good!  French fries are called chips here and chips are called crisps. :)  
  We are happy to report that replacements have been found for Tommy and Marji Wagler!  Gerold and Rebecca Millers family from the Georgetown, OH area have consented to come.  A year or two ago when Wayne had meetings at their church we were at Gerolds house for a meal.  If we'd have known that day that within several years we would both be living in Africa, we'd have been "floored"!!!  God moves in mysterious ways...
  We had some very exciting news this week when we found out about visitors from America who want to come see us!!!!!!!!!!  :)  Talk about making our day!!  Miss Kath and Lynita want to come as well as Joe and Glenda and dear little Tiffany!!!  That means a lot to us and we look forward to your visit!  
  This next week looks full with going to Nakuru on Tues. and staying til Wed. for our orientation as well as joint unit meeting.  We look forward to staying at Tonys house again.  Clarissa and the rest of the youth here in Kisumu plan to leave already tomorrow afternoon and be there for a volleyball game with the Nakuru youth tomorrow eve.  
   God bless your week!  Clara
Brad met this puppy when he and I and Maurice went visiting on Thursday


Chip Shack  Great chips!

Card board alien!

Nessa modeling a hat at the animal market
Rethatching at Jennifers Gardens


Great chicken Joseph!!

Cynthia cooking some good cabbage on the jiko

Pastors Meeting

Notice, the one man is holding a Seed of Truth


1 comment:

  1. I love reading your interesting and detailed letters! And I think it seems like you are doing just great with all the challenges and adjustments. God bless you with a great week.

    ReplyDelete