Monday, October 26, 2015

Life in Luo Land



Greetings from Kisumu!!  It feels like its been a while since I wrote.  Thanks to all of you that have been praying for us especially over the difficult time when Dad was in the hospital.  I'll admit I had some very tough days and really struggled with God's call to Kenya.  Yes we felt peace about coming but then when things happen at home (or don't happen), such as Dad in the hospital, our house still not rented, etc. it makes me question whether we really did the right thing.  But we have committed all to God again, and since we are here we may as well make the best of it and trust God to take care of everybody and everything at home.  We definitely feel needed and well accepted here but there is NO PLACE LIKE HOME!! I feel very responsible to take care of our parents too and its a very helpless feeling to be so far away and unable to do anything except pray. For those who don't know... Dad is fighting an e-coli infection in his blood. It appears that the infection came from the kidneys or somewhere in abdomen area. We are SO grateful that Dad is out of the hospital and doing fairly well now.  Our hearts go out to Marlin and Lavina in the loss of her father.  What a shock it must've been for them.  We're so glad they were able go go home for the funeral.  They plan to be back in Kisumu by tomorrow eve.  We are so ready to have them back!!!
  Rejoice with us!!!!!  Language classes are over!!!!!!!!!!!  :)   I can't tell you how relieved I am and its amazing what all can be accomplished in a day without spending 4 hrs. in class.  We still try to study Luo words every day... I certainly don't want to lose everything we have learned. What a shame that would be.  I was inspired by one of the Nakuru ladies... people say Debbie Miller knows Swahili quite well and its because she spends about 15 minutes a day studying.  I think I need to do that with Luo because I was reminded again today at Bible study that if I don't know how to communicate with them at least a bit in their language, I won't get very far with relationships. :(  Please pray that we could be a blessing here at Lela.  It kind of scares me to have Jason and Cynthia leave next month.  They do an excellent job of passing on the torch (training us in) but its unreal how much there is to learn. There are all the church folks names to remember and all their places to find... out in the bush. There are unique cultural practices to learn, and oh!! Driving in Kenya is quite an experience!!!!!  I don't know when I'll have the nerve to try it.  Lavina waited 7 or 8 months I think.  I'm limited to only a few vehicles in the compound because most of them are standard shift.  I don't know how to drive standard and Kenya would be the most awful place to learn how!!!!!!!  It will be a wonder if the left side of our van doesn't have a hole worn through the floor from me "braking" for Wayne by the time we leave!  I have finally gotten the hang of getting into the left side of the vehicle when we go somewhere.  I used to always go to the wrong side!  Wayne definitely has the hang of driving already!  He drives like a Kenyan! :(  :)  Ya'll pray for us!!  We have some amazing rides!  Today we came up to a place where the road was blocked and so we "blutzed" through a ditch and through someone's yard and then held our breaths again while we bounced through another ditch and onto the road.  Whew!!  These vehicles go places we'd never dream of taking our American vans through... only 4 wheel drive trucks.  
   Wayne is out with Jasons visiting church folks again today.  We were out on Tues. as well and yesterday afternoon we had Bible study at a native home. We were served mandazis and chai everywhere we went.  I decided to stay home today since we need to get ready to host prayer meeting at our house tonight and tomorrow we plan to head for Nakuru to see where Tonys live!!  :)  We are excited about that!!  We plan to stay til Sun.  Rachel plans to go with us and we're happy about that too!  
     As I mentioned before, one thing we love about Kenya is the way we can almost "live" outside. My washing machine is outside the back door and we also eat most of our evening meals on the carport.  There haven't been any days since we came that I couldn't dry laundry.  Even if it rains afternoons there is still plenty of time to get stuff dry in the morning.  Big towels and jeans usually dry in several hours... such a blessing!!  Bradlyn spends a lot of time outside which is good because he has very few toys to play with here.  He mentioned recently that he would like to be back in America because of all the toys. :)  But I think he would really miss being able to be outside so much, especially winter times!!  Yesterday our girls were together with Tommys children making chips over the fire.  They peeled potatoes real thin and dipped them in salt and vinegar.  They say they were very good! :)  They are definitely making memories!  The girls seem happy here.... they really like their friends and are happy with the school teachers.  But one big adjustment is the different curriculum at school.  Their work load is a good bit heavier that it was at home. They have bigger Bible memory assignments, book reports, and also in order to be on the honor roll this quarter they must know all the States and Capitals.  Their teacher was surprised that they didn't know those before!  So that's something they've been working on in their limited spare time.  I guess I will need to get them up earlier mornings so they can study. Its not unusual for all 3 of them to have homework when they come home from school. By the way... Wayne was recently appointed to be the Principal here.  So I guess he's not getting a break from school here either. :)  I don't think he minds though. He enjoys being involved at school.  
  My little boy is begging for a story and its time to get some cleaning done!  Blessings to all of you!!  And many thanks for your prayers!!  Clara 

No comments:

Post a Comment